Most of the tutorials we are assigned to do in this course seem to be related – one after the other. I find this to be a good thing, and you get to set your system up step by step. The next step for me now is to install Metasploitable3 and perform som scans to the system.
First part of this seems like a walk in the park right? Especially since there exists scripts for Powershell out there, so that you can just automatically just run this – and everything is good to go. Well, the short answer for that would be – no! More on this later..
First of all, you need to install Vagrant and the additional Vagrang Reload Plugin. Both of these were a breeze, as well as downloading Metasploitable3 from GitHub, and lastly downloading Packer to the same location.
Once this was done, it was time to run the install script. Here is where, both for me and many others, the problems started to show. First of all, you need to set the execution policy to Unrestricted.
Not a big hurdle, because on this you are actually guided in the script (please just remember to turn it back to Restricted later on for security reasons).
As you can see, the script starts installing. However, many more hurdles were to come, which you did not get a good direction on what was the exact problem. I will quicly mention a few:
- First one were some issues with Chocolatey. It had to be fixed, cant remember what I did at the present time.
- Next was that the download link for some of the modules were corrupted in the script. When there seems to be no way of fixing it, I could see that my student peer Anders had downloaded the package needed and hosted on his own FTP-server. I used his download-link in the script and voila – it worked.
- A few more issues that I cant remember at present time. Sorry for that.
But, once this was done I ran the command Vagrant Up, and the VM-package were created successfully.
This is what I got:
Ok, so all is great. Time to do some scanning!